Hello lovely readers!
Welcome to my first ever Bigg Beauty post. I put a lot of thought into how to kick off my blog and I thought it would be a good idea to do a bit of a Q&A so you all know what I’m about. I did a quick Google and found the 30 Beauty Questions tag that has been doing the rounds for a while now so here we are!
1. Do you remember your first makeup item?
I no doubt owned various kiddies makeup products when I was a youngin’, but the first product I can remember using was an eyeshadow palette that my mum had. It was a nondescript brand and had all the colours you could ever imagine! I was completely fascinated by it.
2. Describe your perfect mascara. Have you found one that fits your specifications?
My lashes are very short and fairly sparse so I need something a little on the chunky side with LOTS of volume. My favourites are Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme and Too Faced Better Than Sex.
3. What kind of coverage do you prefer from foundation?
Full coverage. Cake face for life!
4. Favorite high end brand?
It’s very boring and predictable but I’m going to have to say MAC (if we consider that high end).
5. What cosmetic brands have you always wanted to try but still haven’t?
Marc Jacobs Beauty, Hourglass, Charlotte Tilbury…the list goes on.
6. Favorite drugstore brand?
NYX. Can’t beat them for quality. I love Colourpop too (not technically drugstore but drugstore prices!)
7. Do you wear fake eyelashes?
I certainly try. I really struggle with them due to my tiny lashes but I’m determined to master it.
8. Is there any kind of makeup you can’t leave the house without?
I used to never leave the house without mascara but the older I get the more confident I am going completely makeup-free. If I do anything on an otherwise makeup-free day it’s fill in my brows.
9. What is your most cherished beauty product?
My Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bons palette or the $50 Estee Lauder lipstick I bought for my own birthday a few years ago. When you drop that much money on a lipstick you better cherish it!
10. How often do you shop for makeup? Do you like to pick up an item here and there or get lots of goodies at once?
Look, if we’re being honest, I buy a new makeup or skincare product at least once a week. I’ll normally pick things up here and there but during a sale I will get a whole bunch.
11. Do you have a “beauty budget” or you spend freely?
I have a spending budget that comes out of each pay and a fair amount of that goes towards beauty products.
12. Do you utilise coupons, rewards cards and sales when you shop for cosmetics?
Always! If I’m shopping for drugstore products it’s very rare that I buy anything full price because something is always on sale. I get decent rewards vouchers from Priceline because I buy so much. Unfortunately here in Australia our higher-end products very rarely go on sale so I buy those at full price, but I am always on the lookout for a bargain.
13. What type of product do you buy the most of?
14. Is there a brand that you absolutely can’t stand?
To be fair, I haven’t actually tried any of their products so I can’t comment on that, but I won’t purchase Jeffree Star Cosmetics or Lime Crime due to them being just generally problematic.
15. Do you avoid certain ingredients in cosmetics like parabens or sulfates?
No, although I probably should. I am becoming increasingly conscious of brands’ animal testing policies and I’m trying to phase ones that do test out of my collection.
16. Do you have a favorite place to shop for makeup?
Priceline! Gotta love that 40% off sale.
17. Do you like trying new skincare products or do you keep a certain routine?
I’ve recently started trying a whole bunch of new skincare products after using the same ones for years. Currently obsessed with The Ordinary.
18. Favorite bath and body brand?
I have always been a fan of Lush. I am keen to get my hands on some more Soda & Co products too after falling in love with their sugar scrub.
19. If you could only buy from one brand, which brand would you choose?
A very tough one but I’m going to have to say NYX. They are super affordable and do every different product well.
20. What brand do you think has the best packaging?
Too Faced for sure. Everything is adorable.
21. Which celebrity always has great makeup?
Kelly Osbourne. I have always loved her look. Special mention to Rihanna’s 2017 Met Gala makeup which I still haven’t recovered from. SO GOOD.
22. Do you belong to any online makeup communities?
I am a member of the Beauty News and Fat Mascara // Raising a Wand Facebook groups. I’m also in Shaaanxo’s group but I unsubscribed a while back because it gets a bit wild in there!
23. 5 Favorite Beauty Gurus
- Shaaanxo – she was the first beauty YouTuber I ever watched and holds a special place in my heart!
- Crystal Conte – a fellow Priceline lover who does reviews and tutorials you can relate to
- BeautywithEmilyFox – queen of the lip swatch
- Jamie Paige – I’ve recently discovered Jamie and she is just a very, very cool chick
- Jess and Jen from the Fat Mascara podcast – I could listen to them talk about anything
24. Do you like multifunctional products like lip and cheek stains?
Not at all – I much prefer standalone products. I find multifunctional products never work as well.
25. Are you clumsy in putting on makeup?
I’m getting better! I used to just slap it on haphazardly but much more careful these days.
26. Do you use makeup base/primer for the eyes?
Sure do! The Smashbox eyeshadow primer is the best one I have tried.
27. How many hair products do you use on a typical day?
I don’t have a lot of hair so my hair care routine is fairly basic. I usually only use dry shampoo and/or a bit of hairspray.
28. What do you apply first, concealer or foundation?
Foundation of course!
29. Do you ever consider taking makeup classes?
I think about it all the time and I probably will one day. I don’t necessarily think I will end up having a career in makeup but it would be nice to learn some things from the pros. YouTube tutorials and lots of practice have taught me everything I know to date.
30. What do you love about makeup?
Everything! I love using makeup to express my personality and creativity. I love the satisfaction applying makeup and achieving an amazing result gives me. I love the experience of trying new looks and new products. I love the way that the growing makeup and beauty movement brings people together and encourages people to celebrate each other. I could go on but you’d be reading for the next three hours!
So there you have it – a little insight into me and my love of makeup and all things beauty related. If you’ve made it this far, thank you! My brain is full of ideas for posts and I’m constantly inspired by other beauty enthusiasts in my little Instagram circle, so I’ll see you back here very soon. In the meantime, please leave me a comment and let me know what kind of things you would like to see here at Bigg Beauty.
Until next time,