Welcome to 2018 everybody!
I’m not big on resolutions, but something I do want to focus on in the new year is to be more conscious of my spending, particularly when it comes to makeup and beauty products. With the creation of Bigg Beauty last year, I found myself justifying a lot more unnecessary purchases, resulting in a lot of the amazing products in my collection being overlooked.
I’ve decided to jump on board with many of my Instagram buddies and do a Project Pan this year. I’m aiming to finish (or at least make significant progress on) 19 products by 2019, and track my progress to keep myself accountable.
Read on to see which products I’ll be working through this year and why I have chosen them!
All photos and measurements were taken on 7 January 2018.
(1) The Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bons palette is one of the oldest in my collection so I would love to use as much of it as possible as shadows can tend to lose pigmentation over time. There is a great selection of shades in both matte and shimmer finishes so it should be very easy to use for everyday looks. I’ll be measuring my progress on this one visually through photos of the pans.
(2) The Laura Mercier Flawless Contouring Palette was gifted from my sister who thought I would get more use out of it. I tend to go for powder rather than cream contouring products but I’ve really liked this palette and find it very easy to use so thought it would be a good option for the project. I’ll be focusing on the three contour shades as the highlight shades don’t work that well on my skintone. Again, I’ll be measuring this product visually through progress shots.
(3) I’ve had the MAC lipliner in Soar for ages but don’t often think to use it. I wear a lot of pinky nude lip colours so it will be very versatile. It’s pretty self-explanatory from the photo how I’ll be measuring these three!
(4) The NYX Mineral Stick Foundation is the first of many foundations that I’ve got lined up for the project. When I did my makeup inventory, I was quite horrified to see that I have over 25 foundations currently in rotation, so I really need to work on using them up before they expire!
(5) The MAC Mehr lipstick is another product that I’ve had for a long time that I am keen to use up before it expires. It is one of my all time favourite shades and I’ll be aiming to wear it at least once a week.
I’ll be measuring my progress visually for these as well!
(6) I have a lot of Colourpop Super Shock Shadows (this shade is Eye Candy) and I don’t use them anywhere near enough as I tend to steer more towards powder shadows and palettes. I have already noticed that a few have started to dry out so it’s time to get moving! I picked this shade as it will complement my usual everyday eye looks.
(7) To be perfectly honest I forgot I had this Sleek Bronze Block in shade Light! I found it while making an inventory of my collection and it will be a nice everyday matte bronzer to work through. I don’t have all that many bronzers (well, in comparison to how many of other products I have, at least), and I have hardly used this one yet, but the few times I have I’ve been quite impressed.
(8) The Chi Chi Brow Pomades are probably my favourite brow product. I have two different shades and the one I’ll be working through is Taupe as it is the older of the two. I have had one of these pomades dry up on me before and had to repurchase before it was finished, so I don’t want it to happen again!
(9) Another OG favourite in my collection is MAC’s Soft and Gentle Mineralize Skinfinish. I’ve actually already made pretty good progress on this one as it was the first ever highlight I owned, but since I’ve acquired many, many others, it has been pushed to the side.
I’ll be measuring the foundations and BB cream in this photo by weight (in grams) as I think it will be the most accurate method with all of the different packagings. I’ll list the starting weight for each below. I don’t need to write too much about these foundations – I like them all but as I mentioned earlier, I need to clear out my collection before things expire. Once I’ve panned all of these I’ll really consider which foundations are my favourites and only repurchase those!
(10) Essence Camouflage Make-Up and Concealer in Nude Beige (54g starting weight)
(11) MAC Matchmaster Foundation in 1.0 (118g starting weight)
(12) Rimmel Lasting Finish Nude Foundation in Light Porcelain (119g starting weight)
(13) L’Oreal Infallible 24H Foundation in Vanilla (95g starting weight)
(14) Essence Stay All Day 16H Long-Lasting Make-Up in Soft Nude (54g starting weight)
(15) W7 Captain Matte Foundation in Buff (36g starting weight)
(16) Natio Pure Mineral Skin Perfecting BB Cream in Fair (47g starting weight)
(17) Of all the setting sprays in my collection, this Colourpop Aventurine Crystal Setting Spray is probably my least favourite. It is certainly not a bad product – and it smells amazing – but I feel that it doesn’t do a whole lot for the longevity of my makeup. During the warmer months I’ve found that it looks a little too dewy for my liking so I might focus on using it more during winter. I have made a little mark on the bottle at the starting level of product so I’ll be able to track this one visually.
The last two products are mascaras that I don’t reach for often enough. Like foundations, I have way too many mascaras on the go at the moment, and they are another product that will deteriorate over time so I really need to cut back. For the project I’ll be working through (18) Maybelline Great Lash BIG and (19) Maybelline Pumped Up Colossal Volum’ Express. There’s no real way to measure progress for mascaras other than finishing them up completely, so this is my aim, and if I get through these two relatively quickly I’ll sub them out for others in my collection throughout the year.
I very much enjoyed selecting and measuring my Project Pan products for the year. I am a big nerd when it comes to stats and I love following other people’s projects so I’m really looking forward to working through my own, and I hope that it will help me be a bit more accountable when it comes to purchasing makeup.
At this stage I’m aiming to check in every 2-3 months to post about my progress, and I’m sure I’ll do some little updates on Instagram as well.
Are you working on a Project Pan for the new year or do you have any other makeup/beauty goals? I would love to hear about them!
Talk to you soon,